Center of Excellence Tick Workshop 2022
The U. S. National Tick Collection at the James H. Oliver, Jr., Institute for Coastal Plain Science (Georgia Southern University) and the CDC Southeastern Center of Excellence in Vector Borne Diseases are offering the “3rd Annual Tick Workshop” at Georgia Southern (Statesboro, GA).
Workshop Dates: May 15 – May 28, 2022
Complete the Workshop Interest Form
- Tick systematics, identification, classification, population genetics, phylogeography (morphological and molecular taxonomy).
- Visit of the U.S. National Tick Collection
- Tick ecology, behavior
- Field collecting experience
- Tick anatomy, physiology
- Tick surveillance methods
- Spatial modeling of distribution
- Tick control
- Tick-Borne diseases: bacterial (Lyme, rickettioses, anaplasmoses, ehrlichiosis), viral, and protozoic, including, clinical aspects, diagnosis, microbiology, ecoepidemiology.
Registration fee: $695.00 (includes: lodging, workshop supplies/materials); $5.00 parking fee if applicable
Ground Transportation: If flying, we recommend arrival and departure at Savannah Hilton Head International Airport.
Classroom Materials Needed:
- laptop; a shared folder will be created for class notes and reprints
- sweater and/or jacket for classroom due to cooler temperatures
Attire for Field Work:
- good shoes
- long pants (to protect from ticks and poison ivy)
- rain jacket
Flagging and dragging materials, as well as vials, labels and mosquito repellents will be provided.
Schedule of Activities:
- Saturdays will be field work days
Workshop Interest Form is now open!
Please do not complete the Workshop Interest Form unless you are fully committed to attend the two week program. Pre-registration does not imply acceptance into the workshop, as we are restricted by space and CoE priorities. Registrants accepted (or not) in the workshop will be notified by February 2022. We request that participants from state and/or federal institutions, as well as students, provide a letter from their supervisor confirming that support is available for travel and per diem. Those who do not confirm their attendance one month before the beginning of the workshop (April 15, 2022) will be removed from the participant list in order to allow people on our waiting list to step in.
Questions? Contact Dr. Lorenza Beati: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 3/9/2022