Center of Excellence Tick Workshop 2020
The U. S. National Tick Collection at the James H. Oliver, Jr., Institute for Coastal Plain Science (Georgia Southern University) and the CDC Southeastern Center of Excellence in Vector Borne Diseases are offering the “3rd Annual Tick Workshop” at Georgia Southern (Statesboro, GA).
May 17 – 30, 2020
(Postponed Until Further Notice)
Dear Workshop Participants: We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and communicating with university officials. We’re also following state and federal guidelines prior to making a decision about the status of the workshop this summer. We remain hopeful about the possibility to host the Tick Workshop later this summer or possibly in the late fall. We thank you for your patience and hope you and your family are doing well, feeling healthy, and staying safe. Please continue to monitor this site for updates.
- Tick systematics, identification, classification, population genetics, phylogeography (morphological and molecular taxonomy).
- Visit of the U.S. National Tick Collection
- Tick ecology, behavior
- Field collecting experience
- Tick anatomy, physiology
- Tick surveillance methods
- Spatial modeling of distribution
- Tick control
- Tick-Borne diseases: bacterial (Lyme, rickettioses, anaplasmoses, ehrlichioses), viral, and protozoic, including, clinical aspects, diagnosis, microbiology, ecoepidemiology.
Registration fee: $595.00 (includes: lodging, linens, workshop supplies/materials); $5.00 parking fee if applicable
Ground Transportation: If flying, we recommend arrival and departure at Savannah Hilton Head International Airport.
Classroom Materials Needed:
- laptop; a shared folder will be created for class notes and reprints
- sweater and/or jacket for classroom due to cooler temperatures
Attire for Field Work:
- good shoes
- long pants (to protect from ticks and poison ivy)
- rain jacket
Flagging and dragging materials, as well as vials, labels and mosquito repellents will be provided.
Schedule of Activities:
- Saturdays will be field work days
- Workshop will be held on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, 2020
Please do not complete the Workshop Interest Form unless you are fully committed to attend the two week program. We request that participants from state and/or federal institutions, as well as students, provide a letter from their supervisor confirming that support is available for travel and per diem. Those who do not confirm their attendance one month before the beginning of the workshop (April 20, 2020) will be removed from the participant list in order to allow people on our waiting list to step in.
Questions? Contact Dr. Lorenza Beati: email@example.com
Last updated: 4/13/2020