The Georgia Southern McNair Scholars Program is a select, competitive honors program seeking top scholars from all academic majors who demonstrate sound academic performance, strong potential for graduate school achievement, and a desire to pursue a career in which a doctorate is required.
Note: Students who intend to apply to programs that lead to medical degrees (MD), law degrees (JD), veterinary degrees (DVM), or pharmacy degrees (Pharm D), are not eligible to apply.
If each of the following statements is true for you, there is a place for you in our McNair Program.
- I am currently enrolled as a full-time student in any undergraduate degree program at Georgia Southern.
- I have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8.
- I am a freshman, sophomore, or junior and I will have completed 60 credit hours of undergraduate work before May 25, 2023.
- My expected graduation date (Senior) is December 2024 or later.
- McNair is open to students from all academic majors.
- I am a citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States.
- I am EITHER (A) a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (African American/Black, Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian and/or other Pacific Islander (with an affiliation with the United States), (B) a first-generation university student who also has a demonstrated need/income level established by the U.S. Department of Education, or BOTH A & B.
- I can commit to participating actively in all McNair sponsored events until I graduate with my bachelor’s degree, including the 2022-23 academic year colloquia and the 2023 McNair Summer Research Experience.
- I am committed to a career path in which a Ph.D. is required.
Unsure of Whether you Qualify?
If you are unsure about whether you qualify, please contact our office at email@example.com and we can advise you.
Applying to the Program
Part 1: Application Form
Before you begin filling out your application form, be sure you have:
- Your Eagle ID Number
- Two Georgia Southern faculty members who have agreed to serve as your recommenders, and a valid email address for each. Let them know that they will be contacted by email and asked to complete a short online form. Instead of a full letter of recommendation, this form involves ratings and a brief evaluation statement.
- Written your personal statement. You will be asked to submit your completed personal statement when you fill out your application form. Find the directions for your personal statement here.
Part 2: Supporting Materials
In an email to firstname.lastname@example.org attach a pdf copy of each of the following:
- A current Georgia Southern University Transcript (unofficial).
- A completed copy of your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR).
- Documentation of legal residence, if you are not a US citizen.
After You Apply
After we review the applications, we will contact top applicants to schedule interviews with the McNair Program staff. Interviews will cover motivations and goals, as well as potential for graduate study.
Last updated: 11/25/2022