Amy Potter, Ph.D.
Dr. Amy Potter
Dr. Amy Potter (Schmutz)
Assistant Professor of Geography
Department of Geology and Geography
Armstrong Campus Hawes Hall 110 D
- Geog 1130 World Regional Geography
- Geog 2120 Cultural Geography
- Geog 3111 Physical Geography
- Geog 3112 Geographic Information Systems
- Geog 5530 Environmental Geography
- Geog 5860 Tourism Geography
- B.S. in Journalism, minor in Geography, University of Kansas
- M.A. in Geography, University of Kansas
- Ph.D. in Geography, Louisiana State University
- Cultural/Human Geographies of the Caribbean and U.S. South, Black Geographies, Tourism, Public History
- Cook, M.R. and Potter, A.E. 2018. “Unfinished Geographies: Women’s Roles in Shaping African American Historical Counter Narratives.” After Heritage: Critical Geographies of Heritage from Below, Hamzah Muzaini and Claudio Minca (Ed.): 107-129 United Kingdom: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Modlin, E.A., Carter, P., Potter, A., Hanna, S., Bright, C., and Alderman, D. 2018. “Can Plantation Museums Do Full Justice to the Story of the Enslaved?: A Discussion of Problems, Possibilities, and the Place of Memory” GeoHumanities: Space, Place and the Humanities. https://doi.org/10.1080/2373566X.2018.1486723
- Hanna, S.; Carter, P., Potter, A., Bright, C., Alderman, D., Modlin, E; Butler, D. 2018. Narrative Mapping as a Method for Documenting Spatial Narratives in Museums and Heritage Sites: Measuring the Contested Place of Slavery within Plantation Museums. Journal of Heritage Tourism. https://doi.org/10.1080/1743873X.2018.1459628
- Finney, J.R. and Potter, A. E. 2018. “You’re out of your place:” Black mobility on Tybee Island, Georgia from Civil Rights to Orange Crush. The Southeastern Geographer 58 (1): 104-124.
- Potter, A. E. 2016. “She goes into character as the lady of the house”: Tour Guides, Performance and the Southern Plantation. Journal of Heritage Tourism 11(3): 250-261
- Hanna, S., A.E. Potter, E.A. Modlin, P. Carter and D. Butler (eds.) 2015. Social Memory and Heritage Tourism Methodologies, Routledge.
- Potter, A. E. 2015. “Fighting for the rock at home and abroad:” Barbuda Voice Newspaper as a Transnational Space. Historical Geography 43: 139-157.
- Boger, R., S. Perdikaris, A. E. Potter, J. Mussington. 2014. Water resources and the historic wells of Barbuda: tradition, heritage and hope for a sustainable future. Island Studies Journal.
- Potter, A.E. and A. Sluyter. 2010. Renegotiating Barbuda’s Commons: Recent Changes in Barbudan Open-Range Cattle Herding. Journal of Cultural Geography.
- Potter, A. E. 2009. Voodoo, Zombies, and Mermaids: U.S. Newspaper Coverage of Haiti in 2004. Geographical Review.
- Southeastern Georgia Regional Coordinator, Georgia Geographic Alliance
- Chair, Honors Committee, Southeastern Division of the American Association of Geographers
- Chair, SAGE Specialty Group, American Association of Geographers
Last updated: 9/24/2018