The Department of Geology and Geography has access to 18 research laboratory facilities, both on-campus (Statesboro and Savannah) and at the Applied Coastal Research Laboratory situated in the University of Georgia’s Skidaway Institute of Oceanography. These laboratories include 3 paleontology/paleobotany labs, 3 mineralogy and x-ray labs, 2 hydrogeology-geochemistry labs, 2 petrology (rock) and sediment labs, 1 structural geology lab, 1 coastal geology lab, 1 forest ecohydrology lab, 1 coastal marsh lab, and 4 geospatial information systems (GIS) labs.
As the department leads University-wide efforts in GIS teaching, research and outreach services, we have an Earth Science Computer Applications Lab (ESCAL) with 39 computers (33 PCs and 6 iMacs) equipped with ESRI’s ArcGIS suite of geospatial processing programs, statistical software packages (R, SPSS, and SAS-based JMP), databasing software, and the full Microsoft Office Application software.
We also maintain a community geography laboratory with 4 PCs for undergraduate geography students.
Instrument resources in support of GIS activities include:
- Trimble R8 Base Station and rover kit and R6 TYK Global Positioning Systems (GPS)
- 1 LIDAR VZ1000 3D-imaging sensor
- 2 high-resolution single beam echosounders
- 1 Edgetech 4600 bathymetric sonar system
- HYSP VNIRE-1600 hyperspectral camera.
- For map plotting needs, ESCAL houses an HP Z6100 wide-format plotter which can print maps, presentations and documents up to 60 inches wide.
- ESCAL also houses a wide format, high resolution scanner.
Geological support equipment includes the following:
- tractor-mounted Geo-Probe
- 2 four-seat John Deere Gators
- Geoexplorer ground penetrating radar
- Overhauser gradiometer
- Vibracore system
- Bruker portable X-ray fluorescence analyzer
- X-ray diffraction unit
Hydrogeologic and geochemical support equipment includes the following:
- Dionex Aquion ion chromatograph
- Barnsted E-Pure deionized water system
- Astra 5-km distributed temperature sensing unit
- SuperSting R8/IP Marine Resistivity/IP Meter
- YSI EXO-1 multiparameter sonde
- Radium Delayed Coincidence Counter (RaDeCC)
- Picarro L2130-I Spectrometer
- RAD-7 Radon in air detector
- Opti-Sciences automated soil CO2 flux system
Last updated: 7/1/2022