Diversity & Inclusion Collaborative
Along with Georgia Southern University, the College of Science and Mathematics (COSM) celebrates diversity in all its forms. All populations will feel valued and respected, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or disability. In addition, the University will capitalize on distinctive, unique campus cultures while encouraging strong institutional unity. COSM aims for its people, communities, and disciplines to be diverse and inclusive to ensure vitality as an institution of higher education. We aim to meet the following objectives:
- Recruit, retain, and graduate a diverse graduate and undergraduate student body.
- Recruit and retain a diverse faculty, staff, and administration that is committed to diversity and inclusive excellence.
- Support and develop community engagement and relationships focused on inclusion.
Work with our University partners to create training for COSM students, staff and faculty to grow a culture of inclusive excellence in our classrooms, research labs, departments and offices; and provide access to evaluations tools that can be used to periodically assess COSM’s progress in this important effort.
Contact: Debanjana Ghosh firstname.lastname@example.org
Provide opportunities and a safe-space for COSM staff, faculty and students to address themes and issues of inclusion, and maintain an up-to-date list of Student Support Resources that address the needs of students.
Contact: Ryan Groom email@example.com
Diversity & Inclusion Strategic Plan
Work with members of the college to develop guidelines for the implementation of COSM policies and procedures that reflect, sustain and promote a culture of inclusive excellence throughout the college.
Contact: Sara Gremillion firstname.lastname@example.org
The Alliance for Women in Stem (WSTEM)
Specific Events and Topics Information
Sabrina Hessinger: email@example.com
Tricia Brown: firstname.lastname@example.org
Karelle Aiken: email@example.com
Arpita Saha: firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-Leaders: Karelle Aiken, Sabrina Hessinger, Brandon Quillian, Arpita Saha
Administration: Brian Koehler, Issac Taylor
Staff: Amanda Klingel
Biology: Jennifer Brofft-Bailey, Brigette Brinton, Sue Ellen Dechenne-Peters, Geneva DeMars, Sara Gremillion, Johanne Lewis, Marylou Machingura, Justin Montemarano
Chemistry & Biochemistry: James Carter, Debanjana Ghosh, Ryan Groom, Shainaz Landge
Geology & Geography: Amy Potter, Rob Yarbrough, Kathlyn Smith
Mathematics: Tuyin An, Kyle Bradford, Jim Brawner, Duc Van Huynh, Eryn Stehr, Stephanie Wiggins
Physics & Astronomy: Hua-Jian Jason Liu
Georgia Southern University
- Student Support Resources
- First Year Experience (FYE) Task Force
- Office of Inclusive Excellence
- President’s Diversity Advisory Council (PDAC)
- Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence
- Resources for Undergraduate Researchers
- Georgia Southern Women in STEM Alliance, contact Sabrina Hessinger
Sites, Articles, Talks
- Curated list of readings on Black Lives Matters & Racism
- Diversity in STEM: What is it and Why it Matters
- Institute for Broadening Participation-Pathways to Science
- NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- GradSchoolHub: Repository of student support articles and graduate school programs
Last updated: 9/22/2021