Dr. Weihua (Marshall) Ming
- B.S. Materials Chemistry Fudan University (1993)
- Ph.D. Polymer Chemistry & Physics Fudan University (1998)
Dr. Ming is currently a Professor in Chemistry and Distinguished Chair in Materials Science at Georgia Southern. Before joining Georgia Southern in August 2011, Dr. Ming was a Research Associate Professor in Materials Science at University of New Hampshire during 2007-2011, and an Assistant Professor in Polymer Chemistry and Coatings Technology at Eindhoven University of Technology in The Netherlands during 2000-2007 (tenured in 2002). Dr. Ming’s research has focused on multifunctional, nanostructured polymer materials and coatings.
Current Research Interests:
- Smart multifunctional coatings (super-repellent, antimicrobial, antibioadhesion, antifogging)
- Smart coatings for early corrosion detection and preemptive corrosion prevention
- Self-healing polymeric materials
- Nanostructured polymer hybrid composites
- CHEM 3090, Introduction to Polymer Materials (Georgia Southern)
- CHEM 7090, Coatings Technology (Georgia Southern)
- MS 905, Macromolecular Synthesis (2009, Univ. New Hampshire)
- 6KM23, Coatings Technology (2000-2009, Eindhoven University of Technology)
- Practice in Materials Research (lab course, 2003-2007, Eindhoven University of Technology)
Current Research Group Members
- Postdocs: Dr. Jie Zhao, Dr. Debanjana Ghosh, Dr. Lingjie Song
- Graduate Student: Steve Price
- Undergraduate students: William Millians, Jacob Lloyd, Lin Luo
- Zhao, J.; Ma, L.; Millians, W.; Wu, T.; Ming, W. Dual-functional antifogging/antimicrobial polymer coating, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2016, 8, 8737-8742.
- Zhao, J.; Meyer, A.; Ma, L.; Wang, X.; Ming, W. Terpolymer-based SIPN coating with excellent antifogging and frost-resisting properties, RSC Advances 2015, 5, 102560-102566.
- Song, L.; Zhao, J.; Luan, S.; Ma, J.; Ming, W.; Yin, J. High-efficiency immunoassay platform with controllable surface roughness and oriented antibody immobilization, Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2015, 7499-7502.
- Zhao, J.; Millians, W.; Tang, S.; Wu, T.; Zhu, L.; Ming, W. Self-Stratified Antimicrobial Acrylic Coatings via One-Step UV Curing, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2015, 7, 18467-18472.
- Ghosh, D.; Rhodes, S.; Hawkins, K.; Winder, D.; Atkinson, A.; Ming, W.; Padgett, C.; Orvis, J.; Aiken, K.; Landge, S. A simple and effective 1,2,3-triazole based “turn-on” fluorescence sensor for the detection of anions, New Journal of Chemistry 2015, 39, 295-303.
- Zhao, J.; Meyer, A.; Ma, L.; Ming, W. Acrylic coatings with surprising antifogging and frost-resisting properties, Chemical Communications 2013, 49, 11764-11766.
- Zhao, J.; Leng, B.; Shao, Z.; de With, G.; Ming, W. Triple-scale structured, superhydrophobic and highly oleophobic surfaces, RSC Advances 2013, 3, 22332-22339.
- Zhao, J.; Song, L.; Yin, J.; Ming, W. Anti-bioadhesion on hierarchically structured, superhydrophobic surfaces. Chemical Communications 2013, 49, 9191-9193.
- Zhang, Q.; Galvan-Miyoshi, J. M.; Pezzotti, F.; Ming, W. Synthesis and surface properties of PDMS-containing latexes by emulsion polymerization using AIBN as the initiator. European Polymer Journal 2013, 49, 2327-2333.
- Dikić, T.; Ming, W.; van Benthem, R. A. T. M.; Esteves, A. C. C.; de With, G. SelfReplenishing Surfaces. Advanced Materials 2012, 24, 3701-3704.
- Zhao, J.; Ming, W. Superhydrophobic and superoleophobic polymeric surfaces, in “Functional Polymer Coatings” (Wu, L.; Baghdachi, J.; Ed.), John Wiley & Sons, 2015, pp71-95 (book chapter).
Awards and Recognitions
- Award for Excellence in Research/Creative Scholarly Activity (2015-2016), Georgia Southern University
- Award in Excellence in Research (2015), College of Science and Mathematics, Georgia Southern University
- First-place Roon Award, for research on “smart coatings for self-healing corrosion protection”, by American Coatings Association, awarded during American Coatings Conference, Indianapolis, IN, May 2012
- Editorial Board member, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology (JAST, 2009-); Guest-Editor, Special JAST issue on “Superhydrophilic Surfaces” (2010-2012)
- Second Prize in Advancement of Science and Technology, “Functionalizations and applications of micro-/nanosized polymeric spheres by emulsion polymerizations”, awarded by Shanghai Municipality, 2004 (with S. Fu, C. Wang, W. Yang, and J. Hu)
Last updated: 3/16/2018