Mark Vincent dela Cerna
B.S. Chemistry, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines (2012)
M. Chemistry, Physical and Inorganic Chemistry, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines (2014)
M.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Univeristy of Louisville (2016)
Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Louisville (2022)
- Drug discovery
- Characterization of human PTPome
- Structural biology of phosphatases
Dr. dela Cerna joined the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Georgia Southern in Fall of 2022. Prior to that, he obtained his PhD in Louisville, KY where he used nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to study protein dynamics and as a drug screening tool. At GSU, the dela Cerna Research Group will initially focus on characterization of human protein tyrosine phosphatases (PTPs) and developing chemical probes that can be used to study their functions or be used to potentially develop therapeutics targeting disease-relevant PTPs. Additionally, the group is interested in understudied proteins, both in uncovering their cellular functions and exploring their potential as molecular drug targets. Keep updated about what we do by visiting our group page: https://sites.google.com/georgiasouthern.edu/dcproteinsci/home
- CHM 3100: Instrumental Analysis
- BCHM 3100: Bioinstrumental Analysis
- dela Cerna, M. V. C.; Garcia, R. M. G.; Guidote, A. M.; Claudio, G. C. Molecular Dynamics Simulation of an ι-Carrageenan Hexamer as Single and Double Helices. Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science 2022, 82 (1), 32-41, 10.
- Rivas, D.R., Dela Cerna, M.V.C., Smith, C.N. et al. A screen of FDA-approved drugs identifies inhibitors of protein tyrosine phosphatase 4A3 (PTP4A3 or PRL-3). Sci Rep 11, 10302 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-89668-5
- Tyo, K. M.; Duan, J.; Kollipara, P.; dela Cerna, M. V. C.; Lee, D.; Palmer, K. E.; Steinbach-Rankins, J. M. pH-responsive delivery of Griffithsin from electrospun fibers. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 2019, 138, 64-74. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2018.04.013.
- Pal, B.; Lin, B.-C.; dela Cerna, M. V. C.; Hsu, C.-P.; Lin, C.-H. Face-to-Face Packing of 2,3,9,10-Tetrasubstituted Pentacene Derivatives Revealed through a Solid State [4 + 4] Thermal Cycloaddition and Molecular Dynamic Simulation. The Journal of Organic Chemistry 2016, 81 (15), 6223-6234. DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.6b00526.
Last updated: 8/15/2022