- B.S. Vanderbilt University (1986)
- M.S. University of Tennessee (1989)
All aspects of teaching and learning of general chemistry are of interest to me. What motivates students to learn and do well in a general chemistry class? How influential are the laboratory experiences? How can the classroom and laboratory become more effective in teaching and learning? The study of educational outreach in the form of either chemistry shows or more specific lessons in chemistry or physical science to area schools is also part of my research effort.
- CHEM 1040 Chemistry and the Environment
- CHEM 1140 Introduction to General, Organic and Biochemistry
- CHEM 1145 Principles of Chemistry I
- CHEM 1146 Principles of Chemistry II
- Orvis, Jeffery A., Jessica N. Orvis. Throwing Paper Wads in the Chemistry Classroom—Really Active Student Learning. Journal of Coll. Sc. Teaching. (accepted for publication).
- Jenkins, J. David; Jessica N. Orvis, Jeanette Rice. Including Non-Traditional Instrumentation in Undergraduate Environmental Chemistry Courses for Majors and Non-Majors. J. Chem. Educ. 2004 81 22.
- Koehler, Brian P.; Jessica N. Orvis Internet-Based Prelaboratory Tutorials and Computer-Based Probes in General Chemistry. J. Chem. Educ 2003 80 606-608.
Last updated: 3/16/2018