Dr. Amanda Stewart
- B.S. Georgia Southern (2003)
- Ph.D. University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill (2009)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: North Carolina State University (2009-2011)
Dr. Stewart’s research interests are in the areas of biochemistry and bioorganic chemistry, and group projects focus on the investigation of protein-protein and protein-nucleotide interactions by peptides designed to mimic various protein binding pockets. Of particular interest is the design of peptide transcription factors to modulate transcription with the overall goal of reducing the occurrence of cancer, epilepsy, and other neurological disorders. Projects involve peptide synthesis, CD structural studies, and fluorescence binding studies. One specific project investigates the protein nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-κB), a protein implicated in immune response and a variety of disease states. Peptides that mimic this protein’s DNA binding capacity will be probed to determine the binding mechanism and to subsequently study their potential as inhibitors against DNA binding by NF-κB. This interaction is a key point of regulation in a variety of signal transduction pathways, and understanding the protein’s role in DNA binding and protein expression is crucial in producing potential therapeutic agents targeting a variety of diseases. Current projects involve the design of peptides mimicking NF-κB, IκB, and MBD1 as well as those that bind G-quadruplex DNA sequences. Other interests involve producing novel materials composed of peptides and proteins and utilizing fluorescence applications in various peptide structures.
- CHEM 5541 Biochemistry I
- CHEM 3530 Principles of Biochemistry
- Bobay, B. G.; Stewart, A. L.; Tucker, A. T.; Thompson, R. J.; Varney, K. M.; Cavanagh, J. “Structural Insights into the Calcium-Dependent Interaction between Calbindin-D28k and Caspase-3,” FEBS Lett., 2012, 586, 3582-3589.
- Stewart, A. L.; Park, J. H.; Waters, M. L. “Redesign of a WW Domain Peptide for Selective Recognition of Single-Stranded DNA,” Biochemistry, 2011, 50, 2575-2584.
- Stewart, A. L.; Waters, M. L. “Structural Effects on ss- and dsDNA Recognition by a β-Hairpin Peptide,” ChemBioChem, 2009, 10, 539-544.
Last updated: 8/24/2018