To apply for scholarships, current students can log in to MyGeorgiaSouthern and click the MyScholarships link. For more information, visit GeorgiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.
Below are summaries of the scholarships offered by the Department of Geology and Geography.
Hiram Stanley Hanson Geology Scholarship
The H. Stanley Hanson Geology Scholarship was established by the Department of Geology and Geography at Georgia Southern University. It honors the career and services of former Department Head, H. Stanley Hanson. The purpose of the scholarship is to provide a means by which outstanding geology majors can be recruited, recognized and assisted. Criteria for selection include:
- Strength of interest in the discipline of geology
- Full-time enrollment as a Geology major in the BS, BA, and BSED with a major in geology programs
- Completion of at least 50 semester hours of academic credit (30 hours at Georgia Southern) with a minimum of unadjusted GPA of 3.0
- Completion of at least 10 semester hours of credit in geology with a minimum geology GPA of 3.0
- Personal character
- Involvement in student activities will be considered, although this is optional
Dan Good Geography Scholarship
The scholarship was established in 1997 by Dr. Daniel Good, a professor of geography at Georgia Southern University who began his distinguished teaching career at the institution in 1969. Dr. Good received a BA from Emory and Henry College, and he received an MS and a PhD from the University of Tennessee. The Daniel B. Good Geography Scholarship is awarded to a full time geography majors at the time of application and must maintain full time enrollment throughout the award period. Student must have a genuine interest in geography and have completed at least 50 hours of academic credits with at least 30 of those hours coming from Georgia Southern. The student must have completed at least 10 semester hours of credit in geography and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in both total hours and geography hours.
Last updated: 8/7/2015