Dr Rafael Quirino
- B.S. University of Brasilia, Brazil (2004)
- M.S. University of Brasilia, Brazil (2006)
- Ph.D. Iowa State University (2011)
- Post-Doc Iowa State University (2011-2012)
Dr. Quirino came to Georgia Southern University in 2012 after spending one year as a postdoctoral Research Associate in the Materials Science and Engineering Department at Iowa State University, where his research focused on the functionalization of carbon nanotubes and on the preparation of polyurethanes from vegetable oils. His research group at Georgia Southern is devoted to the development of novel heterogeneous catalysts, the study of the behavior of carbon nanotubes when exposed to microwaves, and the investigation of bio-based thermosetting materials.
Dr. Quirino’s Other Pages:
With interests in polymer science, catalysis, pyrolysis, oleochemistry, biofuels, and biorenewable materials, the Quirino Research Group carries out a student-driven, original research in the Chemistry Department at Georgia Southern University. The Group’s main research focus is centered on the use of triglycerides as starting materials for different chemistries. Our research primary activity is two-fold: (1) investigation of bio-based systems from a materials perspective, and (2) development of recoverable catalysts for existing organic chemical reactions.
To learn more visit Dr Quirino’s Research Group Website!
- CHEM 3341 Organic Chemistry I
- Quirino, R. L.; Woodford, J.; Larock, R. C.; Cure sequence study of wood flour and wood fiber biocomposites. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2012, v. 124, p. 1520-1528.
- Quirino, R. L.; Larock, R. C.; Rh-based biphasic isomerization of carbon-carbon double bonds. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, 2012, v. 89, p. 1113-1124.
- Quirino, R. L.; Larock, R. C.; Sugar-cane bagasse composites from vegetable oils. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2012, v. 126, p. 860-869.
- Quirino, R. L.; Ma, Y.; Larock, R. C.; Oat hull composites from conjugated natural oils. Green Chemistry, 2012, v. 14, p. 1398-1404.
Awards & Recognitions
- 2011 Alpha Chi Sigma Award for Excellence in Research (Iowa State University)
- 2007 2nd edition of the Petrobras Prize of Technology (Brazil)
Last updated: 4/6/2018