Dr. Mohammed Abid Shaikh
- Ph.D. University of Massachusetts Boston (2007)
- Postdoctoral: Harvard Medical School/Cornell University (2010)
Dr. Shaikh earned his Ph.D. at the University of Massachusetts Boston under the supervision of Dr. Bela Torok where he worked on synthesis of chiral organofluorine compounds as potential therapeutics for Alzheimer’s disease. After his graduation in 2007, he accepted a postdoctoral fellow position with Dr. Xudong Huang at the Harvard Medical School, and worked on development of novel MRI-contrast and PET-imaging agents for early diagnosis of cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. He then joined Dr. Frank Schroeder’s lab at Cornell University to conduct postdoctoral research in the area of natural product synthesis before joining the faculty at Georgia Southern University in Fall 2010.
- Synthesis of biologically active synthetic and natural products
- Design and synthesis of novel MRI contrast agents and PET imaging agents.
- Enantioselective organocatalytic synthesis of organofluorine compounds as novel therapeutics in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Novel green methods for synthesis of biologically important heterocycles.
- CHEM 3341 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 3342 Organic Chemistry II
- Sood, A., Abid, M., Sauer, C., Hailmichael, S., Foster, M., Torok, B., Torok, M. Disassembly of preformed amyloid B-fibrils by small organofluorine molecules. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2011, 21, 2044-2047.
- Abid, M., Torok, B. Huang, X. Microwave-assisted tandem processes for the synthesis of N-heterocycles. Aus. J. Chem. 2009, 62, 208-222 (invited review).
- Abid, M.; Teixeira L.; Torok, B. Triflic acid-catalyzed highly stereoselective Friedel-Crafts aminoalkylation of indoles and pyrroles. Org. Lett., 2008, 10, 933-935.
- Abid, M., Spaeth, A., Torok, B. Solvent-free solid acid catalyzed electrophilic annelations: A new green approach for the synthesis of substituted five-membered N-heterocycles. Adv. Synth. Catal. 2006, 348, 2191-2196.
- Torok, B., Abid, M., London, G., Esquibel, J., Torok, M., Mhadgut, S.C., Yan, P., Prakash, G.K.S. Highly enantioselective organocatalytic hydroxyalkylation of indoles with ethyl trifluoropyruvate. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2005, 44, 3086-3089.
Awards & Recognitions
- Best Graduating Graduate Student Award-UMass Boston (2008)
- Mastricola Outstanding Graduate Student Award (2006)
- ACS Upper Peninsula Research Symposium – Poster Award (2004)
Last updated: 8/1/2016