Who is my advisor?

Your advisor is listed on your WINGS account. Check each semester prior to being advised as your assigned advisor may change. View your advisor through WINGS by doing the following:

  1. Log into your MyGS account and click on “WINGS”
  2. Select the “Student Services and Financial Aid” area
  3. Select “Registration”
  4. Select “View Student Information and Assigned Advisor”
How do I schedule an appointment with the COSM Advisement Center?

Schedule your advising appointments online via MyGS

Which students are advised in the COSM Advisement Center?

All students with the following majors will be advised in the COSM Advisement Center:

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Geology
  • Geography
  • Mathematical Sciences
  • Physics
When is registration?

Registration times vary by academic classification (e.g., freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) and are assigned my the Office of the Registrar. To find out your specific registration time, login to MyGS

  • Select “WINGS”
  • Select “Student Records”
  • Select “Registration”
  • Select the term and click on “Submit Term.”
  • Select “Check Your Registration Status, Time Slot, and More”

You will now see detailed information about your Registration Status including the dates and times you may register.

Why do I have to get advised to get my RAN number?

Advisement is an essential part of planning your academic career. Your advisor will help you to carefully plan your program of study and track graduation requirements as well as serve as a resource. It is important that you meet with your advisor at least once each semester. Meeting with your advisor prior to registration will ensure that you are enrolling in appropriate courses which will help you to progress satisfactorily toward your degree requirements.

Do I have to take FYE 1220?

FYE1220 is required of all new students to the University, except transfer students who have earned 30 hours or more. FYE 1220 is a two-hour seminar that serves as an academic, theme-based introduction to college-level inquiry and extends the orientation process into a student’s first semester at Georgia Southern. Students should enroll in this course during their first semester.

Can I take a course with its prerequisite?

You cannot enroll in a course and its prerequisite during the same semester. A prerequisite designates a requirement that must be met before taking another action. Most commonly, a prerequisite is a course that you must pass (sometimes with a minimum grade) before being eligible to enroll in another course.

What do I do if I get a prerequisite error when I try to register?

If you receive a prerequisite error when registering, it means that you have not satisfactorily met the prerequisites for one or more courses. You should contact your advisor to determine the courses for which you should be registering.

Visit the Office of the Registrar’s website for a list of common errors students receive during registration and there solutions.

Why can’t I sign up for a specific section of a course?

Some course sections are designated for specific populations of students. For example, a course section may be only for students studying abroad. Other course sections may be tied to a University Housing living/learning community or an honors class. Unless you are member of this population, you are not eligible to enroll in that specific course section.

How do I register for a wait-listed course?

For detailed instructions visit the Office of the Registrar’s website.

How do I view my wait-listed courses?

You can view the courses for which you are waitlisted and your status on your MyGS home page. When a seat becomes available, you only have TEN HOURS to accept or cancel. If you do not accept within the ten (10) hours, you will be deleted from the Waitlist.

Why can I only sign-up for 12 to 14 hours in WINGS?

If you are currently in academic intervention status, you will be limited in the number of credit hours for which you can register on WINGS. Any student with fewer than 30 overall grade point average (GPA) hours (including transfer hours) and whose total institution GPA is 1.5 or below must meet the following conditions:

  1. Enroll in no more than 13 hours until the total institution GPA is above 1.5. The typical load would be GSU 1120 for 2 hours (see #2 below), academic courses for 9-10 hours, and a physical activity course (KINS prefix) for 1 hour.
  2. Must enroll in GSU 1120, Methods of Learning, unless the student has completed that course with a “C” or better. The GSU 1120 course is specifically designed to improve study skills and overall academic performance.

In addition to these requirements, students are strongly urged to have regular meetings with their advisors for periodic updates on academic progress, for consultation, and for referral to appropriate support services as needed.

While on Academic Intervention, a student may pre-register for a subsequent term without being subjected to the 13 hour rule.

What grade do I need to make to maintain good academic standing?

To be in good academic standing requires a 2.0 GPA; however, several majors require a higher GPA to maintain good academic standing within that major. To determine what is required for your program, you should contact your advisor.

What do I do if I don’t get admitted into the program after being a pre-major?

If you are unable to be admitted into a program after being a pre-major, you should speak with your advisor about what other opportunities may be available and of interest to you. Your advisor will help you explore other majors and possible career options.

How do I change my major?

Students who wish to change their major should visit the COSM Advisement Center, no appointment necessary, for the required paperwork. We will guide you through the process. You will need to bring a “What-If Analysis” for the new major with you. As this process may take up to 48 hours, please do not wait to visit the COSM Advisement Center to change your major.

What is considered full-time for the summer term?

For undergraduate students, full-time enrollment during the summer is 12 credit hours total. It is strongly recommended, however, that you speak with your advisor before enrolling for a full load during the summer terms.

Should I drop this class?

Before dropping a class, it is strongly recommended that you first speak with your professor regarding your concerns. It is also recommended that you contact your advisor for guidance.

When does “dropping” a course count as a course withdrawal?

During the fall and spring, you will have four days, referred to as the schedule adjustment period, to drop and/or add classes as you adjust your schedule. These courses are deleted from your transcript entirely and do not count toward your course withdrawal total.
However, after the schedule adjustment period, a student is able to withdraw from a course through the date established in the academic calendar (this is the 40th class day in the fall and spring semesters). A course withdrawn during this time will count toward your course withdrawal total. Please see the Limited Course Withdrawal Policy for more information.

Will a grade transfer to Georgia Southern if taken at another institution?

The Admissions Office will evaluate and equate the core credits (Areas A & F) of students who are transferring to Georgia Southern University. Students transferring from a University System of Georgia institution will receive credit for any individual courses completed in Area A and credit for any completed whole areas of C, D, E, and F (providing the student does not change majors). Any remaining classes which are transferable will be evaluated for use by the major area. You should contact your advisor for further information about the transferability of courses in the major area.

How many hours do I need to graduate?

The minimum number of credit hours required to graduate is 126; however, specific graduation requirements vary by program, so it is very important that you meet with your advisor at least once each semester. Your advisor will help you to carefully plan your program of study and track graduation requirements as well as serve as a resource. Meeting with your advisor will ensure that you are enrolling in appropriate courses which will help you to progress satisfactorily toward your degree requirements.

When do I apply for graduation and how?

You must apply for graduation at least three (3) semesters before you anticipate completing degree requirements. It is recommended that you complete the “Application for Graduation” with your advisor at that time. For more information regarding applying for graduation and commencement, please visit the Office of the Registrar’s website.

Last updated: 11/30/2015

COSM ADVISEMENT CENTER • P.O. Box 8044-01 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-0649